Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The MetroDBITan student series : Issue #043 - Chua Yi Fang

Welcome to the 4th issue of our monthly MetroDBITan for this year, featuring DBIT Year 3 student Yvonne Chua Yi Fang! :)


Without further ado, let's start our interview with this tall and lanky gal who has some unusual hobbies as you will discover later! ;)

Hi Yvonne, tell us a little more about yourself, such as your birthday and your height


My birthday falls on 5 April. I’m an Aries. I am 1.70m tall.

Happy Belated Birthday Yvonne! How did you celebrate your birthday this year?


This year, I celebrated my birthday with my friends and family. I met up with my primary and secondary school friends and had a meal together at Ramen Play.

Although it’s a simple meal, I am contented.

I’m grateful to my friends who celebrated my birthday with me and friends who wished me a Happy Birthday. This year's birthday is one of my most memorable birthdays.


Edwina (primary school friend) and I at Crepes Store (J Cube)

Li Qing, Qian Ling, Hui Yen and I at Ramen Play

You are an April baby, also an Aries. Read the description here and here and share whether which parts of the profile describe you accurately, and which do not.


Sun in Aries describes me best. I have the habit of doing things early and I hate doing last minute work. I am a direct, straightforward person and sometimes caused others' feelings to be hurt.

It is true that Aries are natural athletes. From young, I have tried many sports: running, marathon, playing badminton, soccer, netball, captain ball, swimming, hockey, Frisbee and rock climbing. Though I like doing sports, I dislike training. I get bored easily if I were to do the same thing every day. Once I get bored with a certain hobby, I move on to something more interesting. I am curious about a lot of things. I like exploring and learning new things. I like challenges.

Sometimes in school or at work, I have trouble sitting still.

If there is a faster way to learn, or to gain mastery in certain skill, I would gladly take the shortcut. Still, I believe that building a strong foundation is equally important.

Do a personality test at http://www.16personalities.com and share if you agree with the analysis given to you


I agree with the analysis.


I wanted to live the life, a different life. I didn't want to go to the same place every day and see the same people and do the same job. I wanted interesting challenges.


Harrison Ford

I am a ISTP. I am a virtuoso. I like exploring things. Exploring Singapore Polytechnic. Exploring history of Egypt. Exploring UFOs and the existence of aliens. Exploring my passions and new passions.


http://www.16personalities.com/istp-strengths-and-weaknesses

http://www.16personalities.com/istp-strengths-and-weaknesses

I also agree with the analysis that ISTPs handle crises well.  My strengths are being able to handle crises well, knowing how to prioritize, being optimistic, creative and relaxed.

As for my weaknesses, I am private and reserved. I usually maintain a low profile, even on Social Media. I dislike over commitments and would sometimes not take up activities that require  me to make commitments. If I feel that the commitment is going to take away my freedom, I would not commit. E.g. attending 3 days of netball training every week or attending church on every Saturday. It’s a NO from me. However, there are exceptions. For example, if it’s something that I really want to do or I’m passionate about, then it’s a different case.

Career Path

Curiosity and hands-on vigor make people with the ISTP personality type excellent mechanics, engineers, graphic designers and forensic scientists.

The above statement is quite true for me.

In the past, I wanted to become a designer. A fashion designer. Graphic designer. Restriction obstructs me to think out of the box and generate new ideas. I like to do whatever I want, at my own time own target, but ultimately deliver the result on time.

What are 2 traits you like about yourself?

I like the fact that I am independent, having the ability to make decisions myself and work hard for anything that I want to achieve. Life is about decision making. I made decision myself. I set a direction for myself. I usually lead people in projects.

Another trait I like about myself is that I am optimistic. I always look on the bright side. When it comes to managing projects or juggling my academic and other commitments, I feel the pressure, but rarely get stressed out.

Share stories and photos about your baby / childhood days


I was very playful back then. I remembered fighting with my brothers over trivial matters, riding a bicycle in my living room, and breaking the glass frame of a Chinese painting.



Share stories and photos about your school days in primary school


During my primary school years, I studied in Greenridge Primary School.

My favourite subject was English.

I like reading and writing. I would always go to the library after school and spend my time reading.

I remember I was not good at Chinese Pinyin in Primary 1 and Primary 2. When I was in Primary 3, I was so glad that we switched to learning Chinese characters instead. Chinese characters are way easier than Hanyu Pinyin for me.

I never liked Science, but I tried my best at this subject. I like Mathematics in Primary 4. The Maths lesson was fun. My Maths teacher always finished teaching Maths early and taught us about Art. E.g. warm and cool colours.



The one and only CCA I joined was Art Club. I was worried that I could not handle the Art subject in secondary school. Many of my teachers had told me that they found it hard to score for Art during their secondary school days. My initial intention for joining the Art Club was to learn Art and survive in my Secondary School. Instead, I fell in love with Art. I learnt acrylic painting, batik painting, clay sculpture, lantern making. Acrylic painting was my favourite.

In those days,  I was looking forward to new things every single day.  I made many friends. I enjoyed primary school life. The most glorious moments were when I took up leadership roles. I was once a class chairman, vice chairman and first aider. During Sports day, my Falcon team and I won in a marathon race.



Tell us more about your days in secondary school


Moving on to secondary school, I was enrolled to Zhenghua Secondary School.

My favourite subjects were Art, Geography and A Maths.

In Secondary 1 and 2, I studied English, Literature, Chinese, Mathematics, Science, Art, Home Economics, Geography, History and Design & Technology.

In Secondary 3 & 4, I took a double science combination though I dislike Science. Pure Chemistry, Pure Physics, English, Chinese, E Maths, A Maths, Combined Humanities (Social Studies and Geography) were the subjects which I took.

Secondary School days were a period of time in my life when I felt lonely. I ate by myself during recess for a few months. I was cautious about making friends because I was scared of losing them.

Thankfully, I made some friends, and a few close ones.

I am grateful to my secondary school teachers for guiding me. Special thanks to Mr Leslie Tan, Ms Ang Li Jun and Ms Chen Fong Yi.



I continued to join Art Club in secondary school. I painted the walls in my school, created tape sculpture, clay sculpture, and did water colour painting. What I like most was Photoshop and Fashion Illustration. While studying fashion illustration, I had the dream of becoming a fashion designer and creating my own brand. How I wish that people can wear clothes designed by me.

Share your likes and dislikes


I have to say that my hobbies are rather interesting.

I like watching documentaries about Egypt, aliens and UFO, whereby researchers would have different views on how the Egypt pyramid is built. Some said that it was built from outside in, while other doubt it was built from inside out.

I also like painting, drawing, baking and training my left hand.

As for dislikes, I don't like being under the hot sun for long hours and I don't fancy eating porridge.


Share an event which is memorable to you


I would never forget the day when I lost a friend.

In primary school, I had lost one, because I don’t know how to treasure her. I paid a painful price since then.

Every day, I am trying not to make the same mistake again. Last year, after one of my exam papers, a friend of mine jumped off the building. (*Note: The person is not from SP)

Life is very precious. You don’t know what will happen the next day. Cherish your closed ones while you can.


What's your fashion style?


I like monochrome fashion style. Black and white suits me. Also, I find it easy to match black and white clothes with any other colours. The clothes in my wardrobe are white, black, grey and blue. I prefer clothes that are comfortable to wear rather than branded goods.


A black top with a blue denim pants.
Coincidentally “couple look” with my classmate, Tianqi


A three quarter sleeve grey shirt with a grey pants.



Name three people that you want to thank or shout out to


I would like to thank my parents for bringing me to this world and everything that you had done for me all these years. Thank you for raising me up and educating me with the correct values. Thank you for giving me 2 brothers who I can play and fight with.

I would like to thank Edwina. When I was alone, you were there to accompany me. Thank you for always being there for me. I appreciate it.


Have you travelled anywhere before?


I have been to Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan and Korea.

I went to Taiwan with my friends Pui Yee, Jonathan and Chen Ren. It was part of a market research trip that we did for our attachment to SP's Livewell Collaborative Centre.  It was a tiring but fun trip. We went to the night markets and tried all kinds of delicious food in Taiwan.

Pui Yee, Me, Jonathan and Chen Ren

I also went to Korea to understand more about the Korea entrepreneurial culture and listened to the stories of how the founders founded the start-ups.


Photo of SP group with
our Korean friends Seungyeon and Julia

Photo taken at Tango Dance Studio

Why did you choose DBIT course?


DBIT was not my first choice. My dream course was to go to LASALLE to study fashion design.

When I look at DBIT, business and technology are two key areas that every business would need.

The world is consistently changing. IT can power a lot of things, more than we can imagine. From e-commerce websites to mobile applications, IT spurs the growth of a business.

Most importantly, I can continue to have opportunities to explore my interest design. Be it web design, or fashion design, as long as it is something related to art, I am keen in it. That’s why I choose Diploma in Business Information Technology.

What do you like about DBIT course? What would you want to improve about the DBIT course?


DBIT course is not only a course, but also gives me exposure to work with the industry people.

In my first year of studies at SP, I took a module called Social Media Marketing and my assignment gave me the opportunity to work with a real-life F&B business in Singapore called Fresh and Fancy. It was truly an eye-opening experience for me back then,

I also enjoy the programming modules that are taught in my course.  We learn how to create websites with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and mobile applications with Titanium.

What else do I like about the course? I like the friends and network which I have built in school and outside school. My friends in DBIT have really enriched my life. They make my poly life fun and exciting. Every day, I face new challenges. There are a lot of things to learn about IT, business, design, and many more waiting for me to discover.

As for improvements, I think the programming modules in my course can be increased in their depth. I feel that we do not learn enough.  Assignments can also be more challenging.


What do you plan to do after graduation from SP?


I plan to further my studies in either NUS or SMU (SIS School) after graduation from SP.

For the period just after graduation but before starting university, I would probably work or continue working in start-up industry to gain some experience.

What are your favourite modules in SP?


My favourite modules in SP are Web Application Development, Social Media Marketing, Moving Visual Design and Mobile Commerce.

These modules allow me to implement my designs and see the results of my programming efforts.


Where do you hope to see yourself in 10 years time?


I hope to see myself as a successful person in whatever industry I will be in, and someone who will contribute back to the society.

Do you have a CCA in SP?

Yes, my CCA is the Student Entrepreneur Club (SPSEC).

Student Entrepreneur Club is an event based club where the members organize events related to entrepreneurship and collaborate with students from other polytechnic and universities as well as people who are in industry.

For example, I co-organised I.C.E Challenge for 2013 and 2014. This is a competition for primary and secondary school to come up with a business idea and compete at a national level.

Photo of 2013 ICE Challenge

Recently we had a BBQ at this Korean BBQ restaurant.

Bonding activities for SPSEC members.


Do you work part-time while studying?


Sometimes, I work part time during my school vacations.

I can’t really work during school days because I have a lot of things to attend to, and I will try not to over-commit.



Please share 3 pictures of your past projects / assignments


A website design for Web Client Development

An E-commerce site (admin) developed for Web Application Development

A Photoshop image created for Digital Visual Design


Are you currently attached with a partner? What are the qualities of your ideal partner?

Presently, I am not attached to a partner.

The qualities I look out for my future boyfriend are good character, exciting and strong personality. Most importantly, he must be taller than me.


No comments: