Monday, September 29, 2014

The MetroDBITan student series: Issue #036 - Eugene Loo

Hi everyone

It's time for another issue of MetroDBITan!

This month, we are featuring DBIT Year 1 student Eugene Loo who has only been in SP for 5 months, but has already earned the reputation of being the most hardworking in his class!  

Hardworking he may be, but Eugene is definitely not a nerd who only studies all the time.  In fact, looking at his photos, you can tell Eugene has a lot of friends whom he goes out on a regular basis with, and he plays as hard as he works! 

Read on if you want to know more about him!




Eugene, can you share some bio-stats about yourself please?

I am 18 years old this year.

My height is 178cm and my weight is 80.8kg.

I am a Malaysian born in Ipoh on 27th May 1996 and my zodiac sign is Gemini.

My primary school was Admiralty Primary School  and my secondary school was Woodlands Ring Secondary School

My dream is to start my own business and travel to at least 20 countries before I  am 30 years old

I have many hobbies, and here are some of them:

  • I love to draw / sketch and design! 
  • I love pool/billiard and it is also my CCA in SP.
  • I love to watch anime & Hong Kong dramas.
  • I love to sing and listen to Japanese, Cantonese & Chinese music
  • I love to play sports such as softball, badminton, basketball, swimming and more. 


Please share some stories and photos about your baby / childhood days

I was born and raised in Sungai Siput, Ipoh, Malaysia in a kampong named Simpang Jalong.



I was raised by my grandparents instead of my parents. I went to Singapore when I was 6 years old and started my Primary School in Admiralty Primary School. My sister was raised by my parents who are working in Singapore. Hence,  I only got to know my sister and parents when I was 7 years old.

Since I grew in Malaysia, I did not have the chance to play computer games and Gameboy like other kids in Singapore. Instead, I played games such as throwing marbles on the sand, catching fishes on the drain and climbing trees with my childhood friends. I remember that I already knew how to ride a adult bicycle when I was 4 or 5 years old



Because of my background, I love my grandpa and grandma the most. They are the ones who brought me up.

Here are a couple of photos of my family:

Me and my grandpa


My younger sister
who is studying in ITE Central



Share stories and photos about your school days in primary school

My primary school days were spent in Admiralty Primary School.

My CCA then was Badminton  and my favorite subject was Mathematics.

In primary school, I had a group of best friends consisting of Jason, Daryl, Bobby, Daniel and Kai Sheng. They were my "brothers" back then. We joined the same CCA and always had our meals together, played the same games together and went out together.

Share stories and photos about your school days in secondary school

My secondary school days were spent in Woodlands Ring Secondary School

My CCA back then was Softball and once again, my favorite subject is Maths -- Additional Mathematics.

My CCA

In Secondary School, I also made a bunch of best friends. They are: Leong Ting, Lock Yee, Jolene, Wei Teck, Nicholas & Sunny.

I also had a clique and we call ourselves the  "Nerd Gang".  Nerd Gang is made up of friends from 3 different classes! The group members are: Zhao Hui, Kai Sheng, Alex, Nizar, Terry, Johnson, Quan Sheng, Xiang Shen, Jeffrey, Jordan, Kelvin and myself! This group are really my brothers! Whenever I was sad, they were always there to cheer me up.  Whenever  I was happy, they would always take time to enjoy with me. We always ate our meals together every single day in school without fail, go home together, hang out together, play together and create nuisance together!


The NERD GANG

Here are more photos of myself and my secondary school friends

Classmates

Classmates

Classmates










What are your favourite foods?

Ice-cream (sherbet) , Sweet (Peppermint/Blackcurrent favour) , Fruit- Mango, Pineapple, watermelon, Honey-Melon , Fries, Tom Yam noodle, Ice-blended, Potato, Korean BBQ, Dimsum & Spicy Food

What are the things that you dislike?

Smoking, Injection, Medicine, Reading, Homework & Crowded Area


Describe yourself with four different words

I would describe myelf with these four words:

  • Optimistic
  • Easy-going
  • Ambitious
  • Slow

I am a very optimistic and easy-going person. I am always very optimistic towards things. In fact, in my opinion, we should always look at things at different angles especially from the positive view.

I have an easy-going personality too. I love to make friends and mix around with different people. For instance, I do make friends from different countries that I know though online games. We do chat frequently and meet up too.

After all the good things about me, now to the hidden side of me.

I am a very ambitious person and always strive to be perfect. An example for how I work on my year 1 module in SP called Web Client Development, I kept re-doing the project until I was satisfied. Thus, due to the fact that I am a perfectionist, I always take longer time to complete my work compare to the rest.

Besides this, I feel that I am also a slow thinker and slow worker. Due to the fact that I am not able to multitask, I need a longer time to think when it comes to complicated things.

Favourite people that you want to thank or shout out to

Best Sisters: Lee lock Yee, Leong Ting



Best Brothers: Zhao Hui, Kai Sheng, Alex, Nizar, Terry, Johnson, Quan Sheng, Xiang Shen, Jeffrey, Jordan & Kelvin.



What are your favourite movies?

Here, I will share my three favourite movies.

The first favorite movie I will share is “Detective Conan”. I have watched almost every movie of Detective Conan and all of them are *fantastic*. In fact, I like almost all of movies that are related to detectives but I favour Detective Conan above all, because their movies always have unexpected endings.

The second favorite movie will be “In Time”. It is directed and written by Andrew Niccol.I have watched many movies but most of the movies have the same story plot or ending. This movie explains about people being controlled by time. They earn time by working and so they can live longer. On the other hand, they have to pay their food, stuff and even transportation with their time. They can bet their time and even lend or give it to others. If they have billions of hours, they can live for few century. I am intrigued by the unique storyline and think this is the best movie ever.

My third favorite movie will be The Hunger Games. This movie has a really interesting story plot too. I like the theme about how the characters in the movie try to survive in their difficult circumstances and learn to be resilient and perseverant.

Have you travelled anywhere before? If so, which countries have you been?

I have travelled to Hong Kong and China when I was Primary 2, but I cannot remember clearly what I had done there. Malaysia is my hometown and I have just visited Hat Yai and Bangkok in Thailand.

The country I like most will be Hong Kong. Although I can’t remember most of the things that I do in Hong Kong, I will never forget the weather and people there. I love the cold weather and people there are friendly. Since I am raised in Malaysia, I am always surround by people who speak Cantonese. On the other hand, I love Hongkong drama and their culture. Talking to them makes me feel friendly and warm. I also love their food there such as wanton mee and Dimsum which are my all-time favorite foods.

Here are some photos of my travel trips.

China/ Hongkong





Malaysia





Bangkok










Why did you choose the DBIT course?

Actually, DBIT was not my first choice.  I wanted to enroll into the Architecture or Business Administration course. However, I could not get into the Business Administration course as I scored a D7 for my English in O level examinations and my parents did not support me to choose the Architecture course as they feel that I would not be able to earn much in the future as Singapore does not have much land to build houses.

What do you plan to do after graduation from SP?

I plan to further my studies in Singapore Management University (SMU) or NUS

Where do you hope to see yourself in 10 years time?

I hope to have my own business in 10 years time!

Do you have best / good friends in SP?

Yes, My good friends in SP are: Alex Yeo, Lee Lock Yee, Sunny Pek, Jolene Lee, Wei Teck and Alfred.



Do you work part-time while studying? If you do, share your experience

No, I could not manage my time well and I do my stuff very slow thus I could not work part-time while studying. However, during the school holiday, I do work part-time as a waiter in banquet and a retailer in Pet’s Station. In banquet, I learn to serve guests in a proper way and setting up the table layouts for different events. I also learn to interact with different kind of people in the banquet.

Pets’ Station is a shop which sell pet food & pets like cats, rabbit and hamster etc. In Pets’ Station, I learn to greet and communicate with customers in a polite way. I also learn to do stock-taking and the product.

Please share some pictures of your past projects / assignments

Web Design Project







SMM Project:


O Level Project




Are you currently attached with a boyfriend / girlfriend?

Yes, I am currently attached with a girlfriend.



Here are some of my favourite moments with her :)


  • 1st few month anniversary- giving her a love letter each month and with a small gift. 
  • 1st year anniversary- celebration of my birthday-same day 
  • Trip to the wild life- Zoo, bird-park, night safari, river safari. She even make me some lovely Japanese curry and mashed potato to the river safari so we have our lunch there.




  • Trip to bugis and orchard
  • Chat every night before sleep 
  • Celebration of her 17years old birthday. I made her a candy house instead of a birthday cake.





  • Sending her to work and home everyday 
  • At class chalet: 





  • Pinic at pasir ris park 





  • Went to sentosa beach 




  • A random cake that my Girlfriend made for me :D 





No comments: