Friday, June 27, 2014

The MetroDBITan student series: Issue #033 - Yvonne Chia


We have such a gorgeous and sweetie-pie for our cover girl in this issue of MetroDBITan! Meet Yvonne Chia, who is a DBIT Year 1 student who just started her first semester of polytechnic studies with SP in April this year!

Though it's just a short two months of work, Yvonne has made many good friends at polytechnic and has accomplished and learnt a lot in her studies as you can see in the blog entry below.

Check out her interesting stories about her primary school, secondary school days as well!

Share stories and photos about your school days in primary school

I was a student from De La Salle Primary School.

A very cute-looking Yvonne in her primary school uniform

During my primary school days, all I can remember was I like to collect as many letters as possible from my friends. Until now, I have this habit of keeping letters as I like to reminisce of my past events regardless of upset or happy moments I had.

Yvonne's collection of letters
I did not join any CCAs at that point of time as I show no interest in anything. So I would rather spend my time watching TV and playing computer games at home.

When I was young, my favorite subjects were Chinese and Mathematics. Throughout the entire 6 years spent in my primary school, all I did well at was Mother Tongue. I can recall when I was in Primary 5, my Mother Tongue teacher selected me together with one of my friends to take part in a story-telling competition. We were to compete with the students from the same level as us. Unfortunately, we did not win the competition as our competitors had performed so much better than us. Nevertheless, the teacher-in-charge decided to give us a certificate in appreciation for our participation as well as to the rest of the participants who were not qualified for the top few winners.

Certificate of Appreciation for
her participation in the
Chinese Story-telling Competition


Tell us more about your life in secondary school

I enrolled into Chu Chua Kang Secondary School at the year of 2008 and graduated at the year of 2013. I am proud to become a part of CCKS family members for those good five years.

Secondary school Collage 1

Secondary school Collage 2


It was the place where I started to learn how to adapt to changes and got to meet different people from different kinds of environments.

The teachers there are very helpful, thoughtful and supportive. They were the ones who influenced me to become more mature in  thinking and taught me a lot of life values which would benefit me and prepare me for the future.  My favorite subjects then were Humanities, Mathematics, Physics and Chinese.

I spent my five years there with Choir as my main CCA.

As I constantly showed commitment and was very active in this CCA, my conductor, Mr Marcus Lee together with my seniors selected me to become the sectional leader when I was in Secondary 2. This enabled me to gain confidence, become more mature and started to lead others.  It also trained me to become a responsible individual.

In the 2011 Singapore Youth Festival (SYF), we sang our hearts out and clinched the Silver Award with 3 songs. In addition, my school’s choir has been invited to perform in various school events every year, such as the Annual Speech Day, National Day, Teacher’s Day and our school’s 20 Anniversary Celebrations.






I realized I finally found my interest after joining this cca. I enjoyed every CCA session as I feel that CCA is a way for me to relieve stress and being able to put aside schoolwork. I have met such a sweet bunch of juniors and friends in choir. They were the ones who brought so much joy and laughter into my secondary school life. I always looked forward to every CCA session so that I could spend time fooling around with them. Needless to say, I really miss Choir, my conductor and my juniors a lot.



I also participated in all the annual cross-country events which were organized by the school and managed to clinched the Top 50 Finisher award.

The numerous medals Yvonne won
for her wins in the cross-country
competitions in her school

Share some memorable moments of your teenage years with photos if available

Those are the people whom I spent my teenage years with. I consider them as my very good friends.

When I was in secondary school, I always like to take a lot of trash photos in class during recess time. I miss those moments having to take so many fun shots with my friends.



Last year, I celebrated Christmas with my friends at Irish Obama Pub. It was my virgin experience to go there as my parents seldom allow me to hang out until midnight. It was a great night spent as everybody was in high spirits.

Pub
Before our poly started, my friends managed to organize a trip to Singapore Quarry whereby we had to march our way down from Chu Chua Kang all the way to Bukit Timah. Even though we were a little weary after our long journey, all of us managed to encourage and motivate one another to reach to our destination. It was yet another enriching and an eye opening experience.

Quarry

Another outing with the same group of people to Palawan Beach and spend the entire day over there having fun catching up with one another. We also make use of this opportunity to bring along one of our wheel-chair bound classmate to the beach. All of us took very good care of her and we were enjoying ourselves a lot.

Palawan


Why did you choose DBIT course?
DBIT is a course that has a mixture of Business and IT.

I chose DBIT because it interests me and also, I feel that a business related course provides me with more chance of employability. Another reason why I chose this course is also because I was influenced by my sister.  She is a graduate from  DBIT!

Share your likes and dislikes

My hobbies are to read and to adapt meaningful quotes which motivate me to think positively. My favourite website that I visit frequently will be weheartit.com.

Meaningful quotations

I am obsessed with the colour of PINK!


My likes


  • I like miniature toy sets as I find them very amusing.
  • I enjoy playing sports such as badminton, floorball and Frisbee. I also have a passion for running.
  • I like doodling and drawing random stuff. I like watching documentary on youtube channels.

My dislikes


  • I dislike reading books as I did not keep a good habit of reading since I was young.
  • I dislike being forced to do things which is not in my favour.


Favourite movies, music, food

I don’t really have a specific movies that I like as I seldom watch them. However, if I were to choose, I will prefer horror and romance movies. I find horror movies very thrilling and the reason is simply because it will keep me awake inside the cinema with the eerie sound effect.

I prefer music which sounds soothing and relaxing instead of rock music.

I love seafood and spicy food. I cannot imagine living my life without having to eat chili.



What do you plan to do after graduation from SP?


After graduation from SP, I plan to continue my studies to get a master degree in the hope of getting a scholarship.

While studying, I will seek a job that is suitable for my qualification and get a good salary that can fulfill my needs.

I want to earn enough money to help my parents so that I could lessen their burden.



What is your ambition in life?

My ambition in life is to live a long and happy life.

Share an event which is memorable to you.

Here's a happy moment that is very memorable to me.

My Sis’s 21st birthday celebration held at National Service Resort and Country Club. She invited all of our relatives and her friends. Almost everyone on the guest list managed to turn up on that day making the birthday celebration a successful one.

That day, we gathered all of our classmates and respective teachers together and had a class BBQ party. It was a memorable day spend catching up with all of them.




What are your strengths and weaknesses?

I would say I am a hard-working and goal-oriented person . My weaknesses is that I am easily paranoid and I can get quite sensitive.

I  am someone who thinks about the future, makes plans ahead, and work towards them to achieve certain things that I want in life. I will set a time table for myself to make sure I go according to my plans so that I will not lag behind time. I am aware of what I am doing. Thus, making sure that I will end up achieving the results that I want.


Three things or people that inspire you


Mr Melvin Kong, our school’s discipline master who was once my English teacher. He helped us to see the importance of tackling problems at the source and other valuable life skills which can be used later in life. From time to time, he offered students with moral support and provided us with advice. He had never once given up on students and would always try his best to reach out to students who are in need of help. His sharing of his personal experiences has inspired and touched our hearts. I have since developed a better understanding of the meaning of life.

Nick Vujicic
Another person that has always inspired me is Nick Vujicic. I am especially touched by him who is missing an arms, limbs and legs, yet use everything else he has to become the best as what he can do. His perseverance, determination and his attitude towards his condition has touched my heart. He has proven to us that he is able to live his life doing anything that we think are impossible. Hence, encouraging us not to give up and overcome our own challenges and obstacles.



Lizzie Velasquez, a 24-year old Texan, once made headlines as the world’s “ugliest” women, but she’s not going to let anything or anyone gets in her way. Lizzie managed to overcome some of the nasty comments that people say about her. She has a way to cope with all the obstacles that she was facing since she was young. She is very resilient and always see things on the bright side. I am inspired by her attitude and the way of how she overcome her difficulties despite getting nasty comments from so many of them.

What are your favourite modules in SP? Why?

My favourite module in SP will be Social Media Marketing and Digital Media for Business.

Social Media Marketing is a module that provides me with a lot of opportunities to reach out to various business aspects. Through this module, I met the Director and boss of a company in real life and had the opportunity to discuss how we can help improve their business. This opportunity does not come to me very often as it is very rare that a particular company chose to trust us that we can do something to help promote their company without having any past experiences. Through this module, I learnt some valuable lesson such as being serious and not taking things lightly when it comes to business.

Another module which I like will be Digital Media for Business. It gives on hands-on experience and I feel that this module is not too dry compared to those that require theory work. This module taught me how to create our own posters and also grades us based on our creativity. I feel this module is very attractive and interesting as we are able to come out with our own ideas on how to create a short video clip.

What are you hoping to learn in Year 2 and Year 3?

In year 2 and year 3, I hope to learn some intermediate skills such as Business Planning. I hope I will learn more about Interaction and Visual design so that it can train us to become good designer. In year 3, I hope to learn more about the Fundamental of Economics and also prepare us to go for Internship.

Share your experience and tips about transiting from secondary school to poly

Signing up for freshman orientation camp can be a good way to kick-start your poly life.  It is where you start to make new friends, and get to know seniors that are in the same course as you.

It is good to know some seniors when you have trouble coping with your studies. The seniors have gone through things that we have not. I believe they are willing to be there to guide you since they have more experience than us.


Do you have best / good friends in SP?

I do have good friends in SP as seen in the picture below. We were from the same secondary school and coincidently, all of us except for one of them managed to enroll into Singapore Polytechnic. Even though we seldom see each other when we were in school (SP), but we will definitely forge out some precious time to hang out with one another as a group. There was a period of time before O level, we used to play badminton together as a form of exercising.



My current class 1A/02 is one of th the most united ones that I have ever had. I feel rather fortunate and blessed to meet all of them.



They are willing to share, give and teach, they are not selfish.  They took each other’s unglam and then they laugh, they don’t have the intention of bullying. They would stand by each other, they would motivate one another and work hard together to achieve success. I am so proud of this class that look after one another and be there when we are in need of help. A lot of times, I forget to tell them how much I really do appreciate them for being an important part of my life. So thank you all of you, just being here for me.

1A/02 Group Photos 1

1A/02 Group Photos 2

Please share some of your school projects you have completed


Digital Media for Business / Social Media Marketing posters


Web Client Development (WCD) project

Please share more random photos of yourself! :)









No comments: